Oh, the good ol' days when Sundays meant sleeping in, ordering takeout, recovering from bartending until 4 am and bartenders happy hour at 5.
If you have no idea what I am talking about then you obviously didn't bartend during college but you can at least probably remember when Sundays mean church, naps and lengthy lunches. Or something normal people do.
When childless fellow humans ask me what I'm doing over the weekend, I inevitably say, "Cleaning," to which their response is, "Didn't you just say that yesterday...and the day before?"
Yup. Sure did. Thanks for reminding me that my life as a single mother of a VERY active child requires constant scrubbing of floors due to spills, puke, tomato juice, the picking up of mangled action figures and the CURSED TOYS CREATED BY THE DEVIL HIMSELF... LEGOS! (I know I'm not the only person who has wanted to shoot the inventor of Legos in the face while creeping through the house after hours and encountering one of those agents of darkness.)
I did manage to make it to church with the mini this morning so that I could prepare my house to be acceptable to the outside world. My aunt is visiting town this week and I was told no less than 35 times by my mother to clean since she would be bringing her by to see my new place. So since 11:00 am this morning I have been attempting to clean. It's 4:00 pm. My room has not yet been vacuumed or dusted, my makeup is everywhere, I still haven't done my own laundry since towels and kid laundry has taken the ENTIRE DAY. But my kitchen looks damn good. Not the floors, but the counters, well, most of them.
I used to attempt all of the cleaning by myself when the mini was out of the house, but nowadays that is sporadic and my work hours are all over the place since I work part-time but have 24 hour availability to the properties I help manage. Yeah, so my schedule sucks for planning.
I enlisted the help of my 7 year old, and let me tell you, it takes 7 times as long. This is how it goes:
1. Tell the child 5 times what you need them to do.
2. Show the child what you meant for each item since they didn't do it or did it incorrectly.
3. Tell the child 5 more times what you need them to do.
4. Do it yourself out of frustration.
Yep. That's pretty much cleaning with kids.
Anyone else identify?

No comments:
Post a Comment