One thing that I began to struggle with last year is dealing with materialism with the mini. It began when I suggested we go through her toys to find a few that we could donate to children in need. I honestly expected her to be OK with it. Typically, my child is extremely thoughtful and shares like a dream. No. No.No.No.
Instant screaming, flailing temper tantrum and honest to god tears.
I was shocked... and a little appalled. Yes, I will admit it. Appalled.
I was also completely unprepared as to how to handle this last year, so just decided to delay. I know, I know. It didn't do me any good, and probably hurt the matter not to address it, but Wondermom I am not.
I approached the idea this morning. SAME RESULT. Yes, I was hoping my 7-year-old would miraculously decide to be a giver over the past year. Wrong. Still a kid.
One thing I was told last year was this:
"It's a security thing, so many things are changing for her this year, to give up belongings is another. Let her have her things so she feels secure in them."
And I agreed. Then.
I don't want my child's security to depend on THINGS. I want it to depend on HER. Things come and go. CHANGE IS THE CONSTANT IN LIFE. If this IS a security issue, it still needs to be addressed in my opinion.
We have been so blessed. Lilah has about 345937483 grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins from my side, her dad's side and now her incredible step-mom's side. She literally has to crawl through the crazy that is Christmas gifts every year.
Obviously, this creates a problem logistically as our home is not huge, and her "things" are invading every square inch of the house. Some things I KNOW she doesn't play with.
Someone recommended that I clear out the toys while she isn't home. I'll admit, this sounded like a better idea. After thinking about it, however, it did nothing to solve the real problem.
How do I show my daughter that materialism is not a great attribute while not damaging her feeling of security? How do I show her that security isn't derived from our possessions?
I honestly don't know yet. Hence the blog post today. I need advice. I've heard a lot so far. I've read countless articles. Has anyone dealt with this themselves and seen actual results?
Please comment with your suggestions!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment