1. Here's a quick shot (proof for my skeptics) of my food stash. This is my pantry. This is pretty much how it always looks give or take a few different items. I stock a pantry. It does take a little effort at first. Every family has their own standard staples. Obviously, we have rice, pasta, sauces, tons of tomatoes, snacks for Lilah's school day, some canned soups, veggies and my new obsession, V8 Green Juice. But isn't stocking a pantry expensive at first? Nope.
2. I coupon at Publix. One of the reasons I like shopping at Publix is that it make it very easy to coupon. Publix puts out weekly ads similar to most grocery stores, but they have a huge number of BOGO items every week. Couponing 101 - BOGO items PLUS coupons for each item = HUGE SAVINGS. Every week, I check out a coupon website and see what great deals Publix has. This saves me a ton of time. I can easily look at my preferred store, see what items I'm interested in, and also print out the associated coupons. The site pretty much does the work for you. I spend about 20 minutes or so on this a week, normally over coffee so it's also a time out for me. WIN WIN! Now, some people are die hard couponers and can save 90% of their grocery bill this way. I am happy with a 50% reduction on average.
3. Lastly, I meal plan like a mother. No seriously, moms should meal plan. It takes away stress. I know some are screaming, "But planning meals itself it stressful!!!!" I used to agree. But I'm a die hard foodie who likes puzzles. I meal plan on a weekly basis. Any longer and I find I have too much waste, and can't stick to it. Some people like monthly, I just don't. Most recipes call for 4-6 servings, which is A-OK with me. I am a big leftover fan, but I rarely eat them the next day. How? Well, I invest in plastic containers. Amazon has some great deals on the standard black body builder style containers that are microwave, dishwasher and freezer safe. These are some of my favorites, and no, I'm not being paid to sell them. I stock these guys in my freezer for quickie lunches. Think those expensive and preservative laden, low calorie lunches are easy? They may be, but these are already paid for, and YOU control what you put in them. And they heat up the exact same way. Nuke 'em for a few minutes and you are on your way. Ok, but what meals do I meal plan? Publix and my pantry tells me. No, seriously, they do. The first place you should "shop" for your meal plan is your pantry. See where I was leading with #1? I check out my pantry and freezer and can pretty much eyeball what meals I can make that week. Right now I'm swarming in Bok Choy and romaine from the garden, so my pantry (and fridge and freezers) tell me I'll be making the following:
Grilled chicken salad with dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and raspberry vinaigrette. I could easily warm up one of the canned soups I have on hand to go with.
"Spaghetti" with meat sauce. I have spaghetti squash for me and pasta for the mini and a stock of ground chicken breast in the freezer.
Stirfry. Always a great idea with fresh veggies. Toss whatever you have in the fridge that needs to be used, some spices and rice and you are good to go.
Chili night! It's fall, even though it's still in the low 80's and I always want chili in November. I will probably throw together some cornbread as well.
Special: Fish Chowder. I always like one "foodie" night for myself. I love to slave over a stove :) Plus, the freezer says I have cod and probably a few shrimp as well.
Hope this gives you a few ideas on how you can easily save as well!

No comments:
Post a Comment